Eliminaation Challenge – The Beastie Boy kitchen challenge – make desserts from other crap. Judging will be Gail, Elvis, Dann and Ad-Rock.
Carlos – Popcorn Panna Cotta, Spicy Cucumber Air, Bacon Caramel, and Popcorn Glass – The glass looks really cool, and Carlos describes it as Cracker Jack-like. Dann likes how you can taste the cucumber.
Orlando – Coffee, Strawberry, and Rum Parfait with Green Peas – Elvis gives O crap about not making his own cookies. Ad-Rock rightfully says that he could buy cookies. Dann thinks it is an artful dish, and she’s right, it is very pretty.
Megan – Chivas Whiskey Pudding Cake, Brass Monkey Sorbet, and Caramelized Onions – Gail can smell the onions, and is drunk from the smell of all this liquor. Elvis’ cake falls apart.
Macho- Prosciutto Cake, Chicken Toffee Sauce, and Cheddar Ice Cream – Yes, she made cheese ice cream. Ad-Rock thinks the chicken skin crisp she added tastes like chicken. Hmm.
Katzie – Sweet Pommes Frites with Sweet and Savory Sauces – Elvis says it is all over the place, sweet, salty, sweet. Gail wanted the cheesy sauce to be more intense.
Rebecca – Falafel Panna Cotta with Ham Pecan Brittle and 40 oz. Ice Cream – Elvis is overwhelmed by garlic.Gail can’t taste the beer, but Dann can taste the falafel.
Hammer – Pork and Bean Brownie, Pine Nut Cream, and Naked Ravioli – I don’t love the lack of real pizza on the plate, but whatever, it was a crazy hard challenge for him. Ad-Rock loves the brownie and describes it like a dog with peanut butter in his mouth. Elvis wishes for more pork and bean flavor.
Matt – Cornbread and Mashed Potato Cheesecake, Whiskey Caramel, and Gravy Foam -Oh that gravy. Elvis gives the best complement – they can taste all of the pantry items in there.
The judges confuse the room by calling back Katzie, Megan and Rebecca. This week the bottom goes first. I was expecting Orlando, Megan and Rebecca, but not so much. Rebecca and Megan try to blame their ingredients, but the others had the same obstacles, in fact, many of them had it much harder. Rebecca’s was all garlic and not enough beer. Megan called it a pudding cake, but it was dry. Plus, she should have used the onions in a cake or something, instead of as its own dish. Ad-Rock wanted a hot dog. Katzie was boring.
Matt, Hammer and Macho come back for the win. Hello fourth and fifth place for Carlos and Orlando. Macho’s haunted Ad-Rock and dann loved the many textures. Ad-Rock tells Hammer he made a mean brownie, and Elvis loves how Hammer sabotaged himself. Massive level of difficulty. Matt’s gravy won the day. Inspired. He takes the win.
I loved Ad-Rock’s take on Katzie – she made french fries with dipping sauce, not a pork and beans brownie. “From my culinary standpoint…I’m just sayin.” And on Rebecca, “From my culinarry standpoint, she effed up. It was nasty y’all.”
Rebecca leaves, and then there were seven.
• Rebecca tells Hipster and Gail that she can’t cook to save her life. Gail’s response is classic, “You probably shouldn’t say that on national TV…on a cooking show.” HA!!!! Love you Gail! That joke makes up for wearing pants to the water park last week (that one is for column reader Brian who correctly pointed out that omission from last week).
• I just don’t see Drakes making any desserts based on the crap we saw this week.
• Katzie feeding the Bravo rivalry – upon Macho’s win, Katzie stands next to her and utters the most half-assed “woo” ever uttered.
• Speaking of Katzie, is she competing against hobbits, or is she eight feet tall?
• Cute Gail moment as Ad-Rock gets the huge welcome from the chefs – “That’s how I feel!”
• Did Rebecca really use the term “bananas awesome?” Not sure if I despise that or want to use it in every day life.
• The Sabotage scorecard – Macho gave Carlos cucumber. Carlos gave her chicken. Matt gave Orlando peas. Orlando gave Katzie the cheese. Katzie gave Megan the onions. Megan gave Hammer the ravioli. Hammer gave Matt the potatoes and his date with destiny. Macho gave Rebecca the falafel and her date with destiny.
• After Matt’s rapping, I not only want him to never do that again, but I want to make sure he’s always wearing pants near the mashed potatoes.
• Best Orlando moment – getting drunk off the rum and falling down. “That was intentional.” HA!
• Katzie keeps saying that she took a risk making fries. I don’t think that word means what she thinks it means.
• Personally, I thought Orlando should have been in the bottom for using the pantry cookies, but he gets a pass this week for that. Megan quips, “For someone who thinks he is better than everyone else,” it’s a strange choice.
• I just love the cooking frenzy montages.
• I miss Rockman, but Megan snuggling with Katzie while wearing her cute glasses is a pretty darn good consolation prize.
• Hammer is on this show despite having a one-month old baby with a congenital heart defect. Yikes. I am partially rooting for him now, but the other part is mad at him for being on the show while his wife deals with that.
• Katzie lashes out at Rebecca in the Stew Room as Rebecca jokes that Katzie the Giant should stop stress eating. Oh, come on. Lighten up, Francis.
• Extra – The chefs like putting bananas on people. Ok. The best part though is Marcel’s reaction upon getting bananaed. He is trying way too hard to be whimsical and have a sense of humor. He’s fully aware of the camera and it just looks fake.
Next week – Chocolate any way. Orlando vs. Hammer. Orlando can’t shut up, and Matt calls someone an a-hole.
Don’t miss a single recap of this show or others. Sign up for the RSS Feeds.