|It’s no surprise to So You Think You Can Dance fans that host Cat Deely was nominated for an Emmy. It’s so well-deserved. In total there were eight nominations for the show. They picked up five of six nominations in the choreography category, and certainly many of the routines from this season will score next year. Right off the bat, I’m thinking of many of them that include Melanie and Marko, leaving the question if it’s the choreography, the dancers, or both that make them so great.
It was no great surprise that Melanie and Marko survived and made it to the final ten. I would have figured Sasha and Alexander to be automatically headed to the top ten as well, but they were in the bottom three. This would normally mean they were a lock to not go home. Instead, the judges split up the couples for the first time this season when they sent Alexander and Ryan home.
Not that it matters that much anyway that they split up couples, as now that we have reached the final ten, The remaining dancers will dance with a random fellow finalist as well as an All-Star. One All-Star we won’t be seeing is Alex Wong. That guy just can’t catch a break. Two seasons ago he missed out on being a finalist because his boss at the dance company wouldn’t let him out of the contract. Last year he snapped an Achilles tendon when many thought he was on track to win the whole thing. Scheduled to come back as an All-Star, he has now snapped the other tendon.
Here’s a look at the top ten as they remain on the show and what their chances of continuing past next week look like.
1. Jordan Casanova, 18, of Chino Hills, CA. She had been partnered with Tadd Gadduang. Even though she seems to be perennially cute, she can pull off fierce as she did in the Travis Wall routine where she appeared as a vulture. Her strength resides solely in the routines she gets. She could be eliminated next week, or could make final four.
2. Tadd Gadduang, 25, of West Valley City, UT. He had partnered with Jordan Casanova. The judges are always surprised how well this B-Boy does with the other dance styles. Well, until this week, Nigel is no longer surprised. He could go very far.
3. Marko Germar, 22, of Canoga Park, CA. He had partnered with Melanie Moore. Nigel believes he’s the strongest contemporary dancer in the competition. He’d have to really stumble to not make final four, and many are expecting that he has a fifty/fifty shot at winning.
4. Ricky Jaime, 18, of Miami, FL. He had been paired with Ryan Ramirez. No one thought in the beginning that she would be holding him back, and when she left, many thought he would follow. However, here he is in the final ten while she’s headed home. Still, he was only known for being her partner. He doesn’t stand out much, so most likely won’t last long.
5. Mitchell Kelly, 20, of Chicago, IL. He was partnered with Caitlynn Lawson, although couldn’t dance on doctors orders the first week. They seem to be hot and cold with the judges and fans as well. With status like that, he probably won’t make final four.
6. Caitlynn Lawson, 18, of Moses Lake, WA. She was paired with Mitchell Kelly but danced an early All-Star dance with Robert Roldan when Mitchell was injured. They were up and down, going from bottom three to the top couple in a week. She has a great personality that could be interesting to see with a different partner.
7. Jess LeProtto, 18, of Little Falls, NJ. He was partnered with Clarice Ordaz. He was so arrogant in the beginning, but it was soon forgotten with his stunning dancing. He’s limiting in his partner skills, though, because of his small stature. He could easily make final four.
8. Sasha Mallory, 23, of Bakersfield, CA. She was partnered with Alexander Fost. Originally only known as one of the sisters, once she made the top 20, people began knowing her just as Sasha. She is continuously applauded for her strength. She’s another who could make the final four. It will be interesting to see what she does with an All-Star.
9. Melanie Moore, 19, of Marietta, GA. She paired up with Marko Germar. She’s widely considered the best female in the competition. She was so good with Marko, it makes you question whether being with the All-Stars will hurt her chances or enhance them.
10. Clarice Ordaz, 19, of Whittier, CA. She partnered up with Jess LeProtto. She’s another one that lives in the shadow of her partner. She dances well with Jess, but isn’t widely heralded as one of the stars of the show. Don’t expect to see her around for very long now that they’re split up.
Don’t miss a single recap of this show or others. Check out our Facebook page and sign up for the RSS Feeds . Read a daily list of what’s hot on TV at The Reality Shack Blog, and catch up on my movie reviews and other things by following me on Twitter.