In the immortal words of Peter Boyle on Everybody Loves Raymond – Holy Crap!
Did I just imagine that, or did Kisha and Jen just lose a million dollar opportunity because of a full bladder? Let me watch that again.
(45 or so minutes later)
Yep. They did.
I’m telling you with no feeling of shame involved at all. I would pee all over myself and my partner and Phil and random Chinese people in order to get to that pit stop in time. This is a MILLION dollars and you are one footrace to a mat from having a shot at winning it. A footrace where you are so feared that another team U-turned you because of your sprinting skills. And this is the time to use a port-a-potty? Just when you think you have seen all the craziest things on this show, someone pees on the way to the Pit Stop and gets eliminated.
I can’t do this episode justice in a short commentary. There was just too much great stuff. Elimination Urination. Taxi Cab Irony that doubled back on itself to become double taxicab irony. The best prize since the lifetime supply of gasoline. An example of why a month on the road with your mom is a bad idea. The most amazing menu in a Chinese restaurant. I’ll try to be brief…
Taxi Cab Irony
And then what happened? When it mattered most, they got the Michael Waltrip of Chinese cab drivers to motor them to the Bird’s Nest. Granted, Chinese cabbies could probably drive there in their sleep after the Olympics, but still. Irony. Followed by more irony.
The Best Prize
Never go on the road with your mom
The Most Amazing Chinese Menu
I’m telling you – possibly the best half an hour of the Amazing Race in years.
1. Jamie may be a raving lunatic, but Cara is actually quite awesome. First she gave us that great reaction shot in the camera at the clue box after three hours of Jamie complaints, and then she almost literally inhaled those critters on a stick at the challenge. I’d totally be rooting for Cara but that would mean Jamie would win too.
2. The adolescent boy in me snickered at the “gag reflex” line. I can’t help it, I’m only human.
3. Did you expect the forgotten gnome would lead to the cheerleaders’ demise? I sure did. Good job, editors.
4. Loved Tammy’s musical “Ewwwww” as Victor ate.
5. When Cara chowed down, you know Jamie was secretly imagining that the starfish was the corpse of every cab driver and foreigner that wronged them.
6. I didn’t even talk about the teams running around in makeup and costume trying to get directions. Again, awesome situation made more awesome by making them do it in costume.
7. I thought Margie looked more like The Joker’s mom rather than Alice Cooper.
8. U-Turn? Totally the right call. I would have U-Turned Kisha and Jen too. Take out the physical threat, unless the Finish Line is out to sea and requires a swim to the finish, of course.
So much more. Electric bikes! Luke running into Jen! Mispronouncing famous places in history! Fried chicken heads!
Next week – great season comes to a close. Teams have trouble carrying dead pigs. Something with surfboards. And the greatest taxi dispatch since Louie DePalma.
Destination – Still Beijing